did you know?
- The roof of the National Theatre is home to approximately 60,000 bees; they keep bee hives to promote the declining bee population and sell the honey in the National Theatre shop.
- The Royal National Theatre was founded at the site of The Old Vic in 1963 until it found its permanent home on the South Bank in 1976.
- Sir Denis Lasdun is the architect behind one of the countries most celebrated brutalist buildings.
- Sir Laurence Olivier was the theatre's first Artistic Director in 1963.
- It's completely free to access the Sherling High-Level Walkway, which offers visitors views into The National Theatres busy backstage area.The walkway is high above the production workshops for set construction and assembly, scenic painting and prop-making.
the national theatre
Upper Ground, South Bank, London SE1 9PX