did you know?
- The roof of the National Theatre is home to approximately 60,000 bees; they keep bee hives to promote the declining bee population and sell the honey in the National Theatre shop.
- The Royal National Theatre was founded at the site of The Old Vic in 1963 until it found its permanent home on the South Bank in 1976.
- Sir Denis Lasdun is the architect behind one of the countries most celebrated brutalist buildings.
- Sir Laurence Olivier was the theatre's first Artistic Director in 1963.
- It's completely free to access the Sherling High-Level Walkway, which offers visitors views into The National Theatres busy backstage area.The walkway is high above the production workshops for set construction and assembly, scenic painting and prop-making.
the national theatre
Upper Ground, South Bank, London SE1 9PX
We Think You'll like
It's Underbelly Festival's 10th Birthday in South Bank this summer and it's going to be their BIGGEST YET!
cabaret & more
Underbelly have been coming to South Bank for 10 years this summer and they're celebrating with their biggest programme yet, jam-packed with explosive live entertainment.
Open from April until the end of September, Underbelly Festival South Bank brings the best in live circus, comedy, cabaret and family entertainment to the heart of London. They've got an amazing line-up of shows in a fantastic city-centre, pop-up festival world. You can enjoy international street food and after work drinks in one of London's largest outdoor bars and a true festival atmosphere on the banks of the Thames.
Coin Street Neighbourhood Centre
Creating an inspirational neighbourhood
Coin Street Neighbourhood Centre
The neighbourhood centre contains:
- An 84-place day nursery providing childcare from 3 months to 5 years
- Out of school provision and youth clubs
- Parent and family support programmes including practical workshops
- Evening and weekend activities
- Conference, meeting and training spaces of the highest quality available for business and community hire
- Creche for parents/carers using the centre
- Access to Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital midwifery and other specialist teams
- Access to training and employment opportunities
- Access to business and social enterprise support
- Offices for Coin Street staff
- Helpdesk operating throughout the opening hours of the centre.
Witness for the Prosecution
It's classic Agatha Christie. We'll see you in court!
Totally Thames Festival
Totally Thames is an annual celebration of the River Thames with a creative and diverse programme that inspires, connects and enthrals.
A free gallery space and a host of exciting events and talks all year round.
Zip Now London
Fly By Wire this summer… the Zip Wire is coming back to Archbishop’s Park near Waterloo, London.
Discover this new gallery gem in Oxo Tower Wharf.
Take a stroll along South Bank's leafy riverside.
Take a leisurely stroll along the banks of the Thames as it winds through the capital. Soak up the South Bank atmosphere, London's home of art, culture and unique architecture. Cross the bridges for circular walks with spectacular views.
The Riverside Walkway attracts visitors from all over the world and is also a valuable resource enjoyed by all who live or work in the area. It is also used as a venue for unusual and unique events - keep your eyes peeled for exciting pop-ups.
The Green Room
A new dining destination located behind the National Theatre.
The Green Room is a contemporary restaurant, bar and garden developed by local social enterprise Coin Street Community Builders in collaboration with the National Theatre.
Serving delicious, ethically-sourced British diner food and roast dinners on Sundays, it’s a unique temporary architectural experiment which offers an airy, contemporary space featuring props and scenery recycled from National Theatre shows.
gallery@oxo showcases a varied programme of photography, contemporary design, architecture and issue-based exhibitions.
The No.1 sightseeing tour on the Thames - choose from afternoon tea, sundowner and even Elvis cruises.
MBNA Thames Clippers
Stylish river fleet, running every 20 minutes between key London piers.
Jubilee Gardens is a beautifully landscaped park situated in the heart of South Bank, behind the London Eye.
Gillray's Steakhouse & Bar
South Bank's premier steak restaurant and cocktail bar.
Steakhouse & Bar
If you're headed to Gillray's, bring an empty stomach and high expectations. Situated in full view of Parliament, the seat of British democratic administration, Gillray's fine food is as remarkable as its surroundings.
Everything about Gillray's is a seeming nod to British culture and heritage. Their meat is sourced from British farms. Their bar boasts not only fantastic staff but over 100 types of gin. Their service is of the highest quality in the British sense - subtle, yet polished. Even their decor is reflective of the old-world grandeur of the Houses of Parliament. During afternoon tea, a tray is neatly delivered to your table and drinks are filled (or refilled) in a smooth, near unnoticeable ballet of table service.
Their bar is open late and serves a mixture of classic and contemporary cocktails, a wide selection of beers, wines, and spirits.
Secret bar in the BFI Southbank (behind the bookcase!)
For the more explorative of South Bank frequenters, the Drawing Room at BFI Southbank will make for an interesting and altogether more private experience. To enter, look for the secret door behind a bookcase at BFI Southbank. Find it, and you’ve found the way to the Drawing Room – an intimate cocktail bar (which is also available for private parties).
The Drawing Room is also perfect for hosting a stylish, intimate private party or event.
Kitchen National Theatre
Kitchen is National Theatre's all-day cafe.
Kitchen is the National Theatre's all-day café - it's the perfect pit stop for lunch with friends, tea and cake or a pre-show light bite.
The contemporary cafe serves up a range of freshly cooked meals - with a menu that changes daily, but affordable examples include tuna provencale linguine and steak and ale pie.
Alternatively choose a baked treat from the giant cake table which you can't miss in the centre of the cafe. With it's location directly opposite the river, enjoy the large outdoor eating areas in warmer months.
Seductive and striking, Mondrian London brings a bold new energy to London's South Bank, blending the style and sophistication of the boutique brand with South Bank’s artistic vibe.
A four-screen cinema venue showing a huge selection of classic and contemporary films.