Job Vacancies at South Bank London
VACANCY: COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER - MATERNITY COVER
Posted on 03-05-2015 - Deadline for applications Wednesday 13 May 2015
Job Title: Marketing Officer - Maternity Cover
Reports to: Head of Marketing
Appointment details: Full Time (35 hours per week) 9am-5pm
Holiday allowance: 25 per annum pro rata
Salary: £23,000 pa plus 6% pension contribution
Start Date: From 15 June
South Bank Employers’ Group (SBEG) is a dynamic, non profit company which is focused on improving the South Bank area, ensuring it is managed to the highest standards and promoting the South Bank as a destination. We are currently looking for a Communications Officer to ensure that SBEG has effective internal and external communications processes which promote member engagement, raise the profile of the organisation and the South Bank area, in ways that project a consistent and positive brand.
This role offers the opportunity for someone with three years’ or more experience in communications to gain further experience and take the next step in marketing communications and PR, as well as work within the tourism, regeneration and arts sectors in London’s most popular neighbourhood.
South Bank Employers' Group (SBEG) is an association of the major organisations in South Bank, Waterloo and Blackfriars dedicated to improving and promoting the neighbourhood for the benefit of local employees, residents and visitors. In a wider context, the Group also seeks to make a positive contribution to the lives of residents here and elsewhere in Lambeth and Southwark, through employment, skills, regeneration and cultural initiatives.
Our work is steered by our members who include: Braeburn Estates, British Film Institute, Coin Street Community Builders, The London Eye, Elizabeth House Partners, EY, Guy’s & St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, ITV, King’s College London, London and Continental Railways, London South Bank University, National Theatre, Network Rail, Park Plaza Hotels, Shell , Southbank Centre.
To enable us to promote the area effectively as a destination for leisure and business tourism, we set up the South Bank Marketing Group and South Bank Venues group which bring together the marketing representatives from the area’s key attractions, cultural venues and hotels. Marketing and Venues members include BFI IMAX, BFI Southbank, Coin Street Community Builders, The London Eye, Florence Nightingale Museum, IWM London, London Borough of Lambeth, London Duck Tours, London Marriott Hotel County Hall, National Theatre, OXO Tower Restaurant, Bar & Brasserie, Park Plaza Hotels, SEA LIFE London Aquarium, Southbank Centre, MBNA Thames Clippers, The London Dungeon, The Old Vic Theatre. These groups provide destination leadership, maintain and grow South Bank’s profile as a leading London destination, increase the time and money spent here and build strategic partnerships which enhance the area’s profile and influence.
SBEG administers the South Bank Visitor Management Group which brings together senior representatives of major attractions and landowners to share information and coordinate activities in the neighbourhood and which oversees the extensive public service delivery which SBEG undertakes in the area.
SBEG also manages Jubilee Gardens on behalf of the Jubilee Gardens Trust, and as of October 2014 will be the delivery agent for the South Bank Business Improvement District.
The marketing team sits at the heart of the organisation, responsible for running the South Bank Marketing Group and South Bank Venues Group as well as managing corporate communications for South Bank Employers’ Group and the South Bank BID. The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
• Educated to degree level or equivalent. BA/MA in Business, Marketing, or Communications or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum three years’ job-related experience.
• Exceptional written and oral communications skills: the ability to put things clearly and simply so that others can understand.
• Ability to write in a variety of styles to appeal to different audiences.
• Understanding of the modus operandi of press offices, publication houses and media, as well as stakeholder organisations such as London & Partners, Visit Britain, the GLA, TfL and train operating companies.
• Ability to develop knowledge of the South Bank tourist product from a consumer standpoint, and of the issues which arise for visitors.
• Developing and maintaining effective working relationships with colleagues at SBEG, with members and stakeholder organisations.
• Ability to maintain a network of media contacts to push out information and proper insight about SBEG, South Bank Marketing Group, South Bank Venues, South Bank BID.
•Ability to project a professional image consistent with the organisation’s brand and standards.
• Ability to collect, analyse and present data clearly and effectively.
• Ability to project-manage effectively.
• High degree of organisational ability to manage timelines and meet deadlines, even under pressure.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Traditional media relations and traditional PR experience a plus.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
CORPORATE / MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS
• Maintain the corporate communications strategy which promotes the work of SBEG, its subgroups (South Bank Marketing Group, South Bank Venues, Visitor Management Group) and increase awareness of the groups’ activities amongst stakeholders and the general public.
• Maintain a communications plan for the South Bank Business Improvement District (BID) and Jubilee Gardens, both managed by SBEG under service level agreements.
• Build strong relationships with key influencers in media agencies and other key stakeholders, leading SBEG’s engagement with them to optimise the profile of its work.
• Ensure that contacts and distribution databases are properly maintained.
• Maintain editorial standards within SBEG to protect its brand and its members.
• Create copy for press releases, web pages, reports, communications to members and other organisational collateral.
• Ensure that all websites owned or managed by SBEG (sbeg.co.uk, southbanklondon.com, jubileegardens.org, oursouthbank.com, southbankbid.com) are kept up to date so that they support the organisation’s brand presence and remain useful to its stakeholders.
• Monitor and evaluate SBEG’s communications activities against set benchmarks and targets as identified in the action plan.
• Run PR campaigns with commercial and non-commercial partners, such as ATOC, London & Partners and Visit Britain press teams. BRANDING
• Responsible for ensuring that the look and feel for each of our brands are reflected across all publicity materials, and play a key role in developing the different brands going forward. ADVERTISING
• Write and proof advertorials for key titles. Write copy for partner blogs and websites.
PRESS, NETWORKING AND FAMILIARISATION EVENTS
• Manage press events including venue procurement, guest list, event organisation, liaising with members and following up with press contacts.
• Manage familiarisation trips and events to develop relationships with key event organisers, journalists, bloggers and guide book editors.
• Contribute to the project plan and preparation of checklists. Research venues, audiences and prospective invitees for each event.
• Co-ordinate the distribution of invitations, monitor responses, manage follow ups and cancellations.
• Prepare supporting materials (literature packs, promotional merchandise, delegate lists, name badges, place names, table plans etc).
• Respond to press and event booking enquiries received via our website and by telephone, log and forward to relevant members/stakeholders.
• Manage email distribution list including new subscriptions, opt-outs and bounce backs. • Grow databases of staff intranets, local employees, residents and visitors. • Develop an e-news editorial calendar and ensure deadlines are adhered to. • Edit and / or draft articles for the e-news as required. • Distribute e-news to members, contacts and staff.
• Support any additional projects, and campaigns that arise as an outcome of our seasonal campaigns and member meetings.
• Undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required as a member of South Bank Employers’ Group, comply with Employers’ Equal Opportunities and Health and Safety policies at all times, and, on occasion, work outside of the normal working week, including evenings and weekends. In such instances, time off in Lieu may be offered.
This is a full time post at £23,000 per annum. SBEG provides a pension contribution at 6% of salary.
Working hours are Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm. Holiday allowance is 25 days per annum.
To apply for this position, please send your CV and covering letter to:
Frances Cresswell, Office and Admin Manager South Bank Employers’ Group, Capital Tower, 91 Waterloo Road, London SE1 8RT or firstname.lastname@example.org. PLEASE QUOTE: JOB REF: COMMS01 IN THE SUBJECT LINE DEADLINE.
The covering letter should address the following questions:
1. Why does the position of Communications Officer appeal to you and what would you hope to bring to this role? 2. Please give an example of a PR/Comms campaign that you have worked on and are proud of. What did you achieve?
Deadline for submissions: 12pm, Wednesday 13 May 2015
We will respond to all shortlisted candidates by Friday 15th May. If you do not hear from us by this date then unfortunately we will not be taking forward your application.